This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #OrganizeWithBrilliance #CollectiveBias
I’ve been struggling for a long time to try and figure out how to better manage the space in my house. We have a starter house, meaning when we bought it we only expected to stay a few years and then move on to a larger home. That didn’t happen and 3 kids later, we are kind of busting at the seems here. Closet space is limited, bathroom space is limited, and kitchen space… well, don’t get me started. We cook a lot and you all know how much 3 kids eat, so I decided the kitchen would be the first space I tackle in a big way… starting with easy refrigeration organization so I don’t end up running out of food on those mornings when everyone in the family needs lunches packed.
Part of the problem I have is that everyone likes different foods. My grocery list is ridiculous and although I always buy the staples I need every week, it’s inevitable that I forget that Lauryn needs juice boxes and Amanda won’t eat certain types of cookies. Temera is picky and if she doesn’t have her favorites she won’t take anything at all. And breakfasts… oh please! The husband needs his yogurt and gets annoyed when the kids eat it all and leave him with nothing. So I decided to start from scratch and empty the entire fridge. Take it all out, do a deep clean and then make that overpriced appliance work for me!
Now I only want to do this once so I went about this with the idea that what we don’t see in the fridge doesn’t get eaten. It gets pushed in the back and then when we suddenly need sour cream, we dig deep and find something covered in green mold with an expiration date from 6 months ago. Nope… not going to happen anymore. I knew that in-fridge storage needed to happen and I started with the 10 Piece Rubbermaid® BRILLIANCE™ set. Why? Because I totally trust Rubbermaid® products and the BRILLIANCE™’s product features deliver in a way that other storage solutions do not. They are 100% leakproof, stain and odor resistant, they stack perfectly, and they are crystal clear! Meaning… we can actually SEE the food we are storing.
Easy Refrigerator Organization Steps
1. Take it all out! I mean, really… take out everything from your refrigerator. Have your kitchen or dining table free of anything else and have an area for each category (fruits, vegetables, dairy, snacks, breakfasts, etc.). Figure out what the best organization is for you and your family. I decided to have all my family’s grab-n-go items on one shelf smack in the middle of the refrigerator. That way, I won’t have to hear… “Mom, where is….?”
2. Do a deep clean! Really scrub that fridge down so you are starting with a spotless and odorless space.
3. Get your Rubbermaid® BRILLIANCE™ containers ready. I cleaned all mine in the dishwasher prior to using for the first time. Yep… they are dishwasher safe.
4. Fill your containers and if necessary, label them. The Rubbermaid® BRILLIANCE™ can also go in the freezer and since they don’t stain like other products do, you can go ahead and microwave those leftovers or casseroles right in the container. Just unlock the sides of the top before turning on the microwave. Tiny holes on the sides will let air circulate. Love that!
5. Start putting back your refrigerated products where you want them to go so that they are placed exactly where you will be able to see them and have easy access.
6. Stand back and look at how beautiful your refrigerator is. Your family will be so impressed!
While I DID get rid of a lot of old and outdated items, I found that the containers actually made the refrigerator look less crowded overall. And when you can easily see what you have, it makes it much easier to know what you need. I have found that when I give my kids their own grocery list to fill out, I can actually limit my shopping to once a week because I know I’m getting everything they need.
Print your own list and let each family member add to it during the week. (Click on image)
My family actually loved these containers so much they made me throw out ALL the old ones and just keep the Rubbermaid® BRILLIANCE™ ones. It does make it easier to rely on one awesome brand that can be used for everything: refrigerator, freezer, shelf storage, microwave, and is dishwasher safe.
How would you use the 10 Piece Rubbermaid® BRILLIANCE™ in your kitchen?