This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RollAwayLint #CollectiveBias
Since holiday season is upon us, I thought I’d share my 5 steps to clean when company decides to just stop by and say hello.
Shout it out! What do you dread most about the holidays? Come on, you know you hate when you get that call…
“I’ll be over in a few minutes. Can’t wait to see you.”
Panic time! My house is rarely company-presentable. The kids usually have their stuff all over our dining table. There are dirty socks on the floor in the living room. The dog hair is piling up on our corduroy sofa and there are dishes in the sink with the most stuck on gross food that I’ve even forgotten what we had for dinner last night. HELP! Never fear… I’ve taken cleaning up to new levels. My husband says nobody can clean a house as fast as I can (when I absolutely have to, of course). And because I know you’ll have your own last minute visitors this season, I’m sharing my 5 steps to clean.
The first thing to keep in mind is that if you can’t find your cleaning products, you will drive yourself crazy and act like a mad woman running around slamming cupboards and digging under your sinks. I always keep a little emergency cleaning kit somewhere within easy reach that has everything I need in it.
- window/mirror cleaner – so surfaces will sparkle
- paper towels – have a million uses
- dusting cloth – for the hard surfaces in your home
- Scotch-Brite™ 50% Stickier Lint Roller – for the soft surfaces. Get the new extra large 8″ roller – you will LOVE it!
- cleaning eraser – for scuff marks
- mini sweeper – in case you find a clump of glitter or dog hair hiding in the corner.
- air freshener/fabric spray – because fresh is best
Ready to clean?
STEP 1 – Pick Up
I take a laundry basket and go around picking up all those things that don’t belong in my kitchen/living room/bedroom – or anywhere my guests might go. That laundry basket will get dumped in the garage or a spare bedroom until after everyone leaves. It’s usually filled with socks and jackets and school stuff that never seems to make it to their proper places.
STEP 2 – Dust
Take your dusting cloth and run over ONLY those surfaces that are visible. The others can be done later when you have more time.
- fireplace mantle
- coffee table
- any other shelves
- picture frames
My husband always feels the need to clean the fan blades and the chandelier, which is great (thanks, Hon!) but it takes way too much time to do when your friends/family are driving down your street. Leave it for later!
STEP 3 – Roll
You know all those surfaces that dusting just isn’t going to clean? You will thank yourself for having a Scotch-Brite™ 50% Stickier Lint Roller on hand.
- couch/sofa/loveseat – roll all the crumbs and dog hair away
- tablecloth – if you have a tablecloth on your dining table like I do, you don’t always have time to wash it or grab another one.
- bedding – I tend to throw everyone’s coats and purses on my bed and after the dogs have been napping on it all day, I certainly don’t want my guests taking home little pieces of them
- carpeted stair treads – taking out the vacuum is a pain and way too time consuming. I go over the carpeted stairs in my entryway with a lint roller just to pick up the flecks of dirt that gather
- curtains/drapes and even roman shades if you have them
STEP 4 – Mirrors/Windows
- with your glass cleaner and paper towels, get the mirror in the guest bathroom
- clean the faucets in the guest bathroom sink
- any window that will be seen and used (like sliding glass doors out to a patio or deck)
STEP 5 – Make it Fresh
Let’s face it, there are always some funky smells around and when you don’t have time to do a thorough cleaning, you’ll want your home to at least smell like you did.
- spray any fabric surfaces (sofa, chairs, bedspread) with fabric spray
- spray your guest bathroom with some air freshener (or turn on a scented diffuser)
- spray your garbage – don’t question if it’s stinky (it is) – just do it
I periodically replace my little cleaning bucket when I find great products and I’m so glad I found the Scotch-Brite™ 50% Stickier Lint Roller at Target. Love this and it’s been a huge life-saver. Target has a current Cartwheel Offer where you can get 15% Off Scotch-Brite 50% Stickier Lint Roller between November 20 – 26. Just in time for the company to come! 50% stickier means cleaning is SO much faster! Tip: Check out the end caps when you are going up and down the aisles at Target… that’s where they keep the clearance products and I’ve gotten some amazing deals.
Want another little tip: get the kids to help! Yes, I’m serious. Young kids LOVE to use the lint roller to pick up dust and dirt and it’s an easy way to keep them busy when you are doing the more serious stuff.
No more need to panic when the phone rings. Seriously, I can get this house clean in 15 minutes if I really have to. Want more ideas on uses for your Scotch-Brite™ 50% Stickier Lint Roller? Take a peak HERE.